Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Story of my life by Helen Keller


So I started reading “The story of my Life” by Helen Keller. This book has opened my mind and has made me wonder and think outside my own box of thoughts. Before I even started reading the book, my first question in mind was… how did she communicate? I asked several people but nothing. So I’m one of those people that couldn’t wait to read the book to find out... So I Google. Google said that she had a teacher Ms. Sullivan that did first help sense things by touching them and then creating the sing for her. She would grab her hand and sign for her and eventually she learned it. WOW! Having one disability, I believe is hard but having two is a major hassle. Especially if it’s sight and hearing the sense you living without. Stories like this make me wonder… Like do blind people have dreams? What if they have been blind since birth and have no image of anything?
Yes, I Google and found out that….

Yes, blind people do have dreams. However, those blind since birth or very early childhood have no visual imagery in their dreams. Instead, they experience a very high percentage of taste, smell, and touch sensations in their dreams. (Also Auditory dreams)

The breakdown is as follows:

There are no visual images in the dreams of those born without any ability to experience visual imagery in waking life.

Individuals who become blind before the age of five seldom experience visual imagery in their dreams.

Those who become sightless between the ages of five and seven may or may not retain some visual imagery.

Most people who lost their vision after age seven continue to experience at least some visual imagery, although its frequency and clarity often fade with time.
"The only disability in life is a bad attitude.”
-- Scott Hamilton

2 comments:

  1. My grandfather met helen keller when he was about 8 years old or so. She came to speak at his school. He said she seemed normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That's amazing... If you read her book, she expressed her childhood experiance as sort of normal. I haven't finished the book but I'm amazed. Thank you for sharing that was cool.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...